School District Offers School Supplies for elementary and middle school students
As part of continued efforts to improve Service, Excellence, and Equity for all students and families, Renton School District is offering school supplies for all elementary and middle school students right in their classroom. The district will purchase school supplies that elementary and middle school students need for learning, and families will pay a one-time fee of $30 ($10 for families with free/reduced lunch) for school supplies in the 2022-2023 school year.
For most families, the cost of school supplies at the start of the school year can be well over $100 per child. With the ability to buy direct from wholesalers and in bulk, Renton Schools can purchase school supplies at a much lower cost. The program simplifies school supply purchasing, and makes the process more equitable, economical, and efficient for families.
High school students will continue to provide their own school supplies. Class specific supply lists will be distributed the first day. Supplies that high school students should prepare for the first day of school: pencils, highlighters, pens (black and blue), large eraser, pencil pouch, graph paper notebooks, folders, sticky notes, colored pencils, 3” binders/dividers, loose-leaf notebook paper (college-rule).
Families can pay a one-time fee of $30 per student for the 2022-2023 school year
Cost for the school supplies is a one-time fee of $30 per student for enough school supplies for the entire school year ($10 per student with free/reduced lunch). Families will continue to provide students with backpacks and lunchboxes, along with school planners at middle schools. Families can pay the one-time school supply fee online or by check/cash at their school.
Families providing their own school supplies:
- Elementary School supply list:
- Pencils, Highlighters, Large Eraser, Folders, Sticky Notes, Colored pencils, Crayons, Pencil box, Scissors, Glue sticks, Composition notebooks, Black permanent marker, Ruler, Loose-leaf notebook paper (wide-rule), Washable markers
- Middle School supply list:
- Pencils, Highlighters, Pens (black and blue), Large eraser, Pencil pouch, Graph paper notebooks, Folders, Sticky notes, Colored pencils, 3” Binders/ Dividers, Loose-leaf notebook paper (college-rule)
- Why was the program started in Renton School District?
- What grade levels are included in the program?
- What is included?
- Is this mandatory; do families have to participate?
- How will students receive the supplies?
- How were the list of school supplies selected?
- Will teachers who have specific school supply needs based on their subject matter be provided those specialty items?
- Will consideration be given to ensure high-demand school supplies are available?
- What happens when students or classrooms run out of the initially-provided school supplies?
- What can classrooms or schools do to request speciality items?
- What will the program cost the district?